See The World
Seek Adventure Travel Happy
So, when I first told my friends that we were going to be backpacking for a year and living in a van, a lot of my girl friends worried about me. How are you going to shower and do your hair, "are you turning into a dirty hippy?" I reassured them that no, I was not just going to live in a van down by the river. First of all it would be by the ocean, and second of all I had a plan.
You ladies out there will need 12 things:
1. Stretchy headband (for no heat curls)
2. Dry Shampoo
3. BB or CC Cream
4. Tinted Lip balm
5. Eye liner
7. Eye shadow duo
9. Water activated face cleansing wipes, these work great.
10. Hair brush
11. Tooth brush
1. No heat curls are the best thing ever: The picture above is me rocking the first stage of no heat curls in New York. When you are traveling a long time, you don't want a curling iron and blow dryer to take up precious space. Not to mention you'll have to buy a outlet convertor for the plug (if you are abroad) =money saved! And, for me, there wasn't anywhere to plug it into the van anyways, deal breaker. The first day, it's rolled up like this around a head band. Day two, you have awesome curls all day long. Use some dry shampoo on day three and you've spent a total of 5 minutes on three days of cute hair. I still do this every week and I have access to a curling iron. There's another no heat curl thing that I tried that involved putting your hair into several buns and then sleeping on it. It works, but man is it uncomfortable...the worst night's sleep ever! I would not recommend it.
2. Use products that pull double duty. BB or CC creams are great, because they have SPF (which is a must!) and they are tinted and work as light coverage foundation and concealer. Now you have one product instead of 3 or 4. Also, if you're only going to be gone a few weeks or a few months, do you really NEED tons of different eye shadow and lip glosses? The answer is no, and I'll be honest, I probably have 4 lip glosses in my bag right now, but I'm not hauling them all over the world or trying to save space for shopping while I'm a way.
3. Trust me on the water activated face wipes. While traveling, you'll start to feel gross and you may not have access to a hot shower right when you really want it. Nothing feels better than washing your face on the beach after not being able to for a long time.
4. Simplifying your routine for travel saves you time, frustration, and money. This way you have more room in your bag for cute shoes or souvenirs, and you save prep time so you can get out there and do the stuff you really want to do.
Any questions, let me know!
Hi there! I'm Skeeter. I grew up moving a lot and that makes me a bit restless for travel and exploration. I started this blog with my husband Pat when we decided to backpack New Zealand for a year. We are always looking for the next adventure and are loving life. We're just your average couple with two sassy dogs and a love for travel. We're sharing our travels and the tips we pick up along the way.
Hello! I'm Liz. Blogging is very new to me, but I'm so excited to finally write as much as I talk!
"Don't forget to travel happy"-Skeeter & Liz